22 June 2009

Saying good-bye


We said goodbye to one of our two remaining cats today.  Zanzibar Buck Buck McFate (of course there's a Dr Seuss wiki) was eleven, and she went peacefully at the vet's office.  She was a great cat, full of personality and incredibly social, especially for a cat.  She was great with the kids in particular.

As this is a medical blog, I'll share some interesting details.  She had developed some dramatic weight loss and wasting over a couple of months, and we got an ultrasound which confirmed a gastric lymphoma:

gastric thicking


omentum


vena cava
Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!


She was a pretty sick kitty at the end, but this morning she really rallied, taking a patrol around the house and even jumping on my lap at the desk, which she hasn't done for weeks.  It made it a little harder to say good-bye, but it was necessary.  The boys and all of us were there with her at the vet's when she closed her eyes for the last time.  I'm going to miss that cat.

Zanzibar


9 comments:

  1. That is so sad... condolences.
    She looks exactly like my wee girl, who is 9 months old. When I was a Vet Nurse, euthanasia was the hardest job. So much emotion is bought up when someone loses an animal, she was part of your family and life for so many years.
    Kind Regards
    Kirst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the loss. She seems like a great kitty.

    No one who has had the companionship of an animal will ever doubt how difficult it is to lose our furry friends, even if the time seemed "right."

    From someone who's been there--thanks for sharing the good and the bad.

    Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. condolences from someone who has been there numerous times. it does feel just like losing a family member.
    best..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Condolences. It's really hard to lose a good kitty or pup. But it sounds like your family took good care of her, and she was lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss, Doc. Knowing the medical reasons behind it all makes it more interesting, but no less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your sweet memories eventually overlay the sadness your family is feeling. Euthanasia is the last gift of love we can give to our pets, and I've personally found medical professionals (human, not veterinary) can have mixed emotions about the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss - what a beautiful kitty she was. My husband and I had to euthanize our 2 year old cat a couple years ago because of FIP, and even though we knew it was the right thing, it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. I don't like being on the 'patient' end of things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear. We have 2 of our own, and as much as I complain, it would break my heart to have to put them down.
    Unfortunate and sad.
    My heart goes out to you and your family.
    :|

    ReplyDelete