28 January 2009

How to mess with a hospitalist

Me: I've got this lady who needs to be admitted for [something uninteresting].   She looks OK, but her blood sugar is 450.
Hospitalist: That sounds fine.  Put her on the floor.
Me: It'll be a while.  You want me to give her some insulin in the meantime to get her blood sugar under control?
Hospitalist: Sure.  What type of insulin does she usually take?
Me: There are different types of insulin?

Long silence.

Hospitalist:   Yeeees. 
Me: Oh really?  Damn, that's a new one.
Hospitalist:   You are kidding, right?
Me: Not as far as you know.


  1. You are a bad, bad man. :)

    I nearly "Oh, by the way, will this interact with my coumadin?" 'd my new internist, but I didn't want him to fire me as a patient after only one appointment, LOL!

  2. Haha, *classic* :)

  3. Oh that's brilliant! I'm going to have to try that with one of the charge nurses who is particularly high strung!

  4. Hopefully this conversation occurred at about 3 am.

  5. That is great. I have no friggin' clue how to use anything except regular!

  6. HAH!
    Thanks for the laugh. That would have been a good one.