23 June 2008

Sweep!

Way, way way off topic, but the Cubs just finished a three-game sweep of the White Sox, at Wrigley Field.

I'm sorry, let me correct myself:
The first-place Cubs just finished a three-game sweep of the White Sox, at Wrigley Field.

No, that's not quite right either. Trying again:
The best-in-the-major-leagues Cubs just finished a three-game sweep of the White Sox, at Wrigley Field.

Yes, that's it. Ah, that felt good to say. The last time the Cubs had the best record in June was 1908, which was coincidentally the last time they won the Series.

Weird. The Democrats are poised to win the White House, and the Cubs are eyeing a World Series. Someone with a cynical disposition might be forced to wonder how they will each manage to blow it, how they will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But not me -- I'm a Cubs fan, and you have to be an optimist to survive as Cubs fan.

9 comments:

  1. Obama should choose Steve Bartman as his VP candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't go wrong with the billy goat....seriously, working with a bunch of sox fans, is nice. Plus, most of the patients are cub fans...makes it easy to stay up on top of the games...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO CUBBIES! :)

    cubsfanincleveland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope they don't run into the Devil Rays -- ahem Rays -- in the World Series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just can't quite seem to shake those pesky Cardinals, though, can they?

    They'll blow it. They always do. Jeebus hates the Cubs and wants their fans to suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I root for THE Cubs as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. save me, jeebus! I don't even believe in jeebus! Seriously, after the way they've blown it in the past, I KNOW they gotta get it right some year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a Cubs fan as well and yes...I fully expect them to blow it.

    I'll almost be disappointed if they *don't* blow it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a member of the die-hard Cubs fan club (induced by my former-dad during the Rick Sutcliff, Ryan Sandberg era), I'm glad to hear that they will be falling into ignominy from an abnormally elevated perch this year.

    ReplyDelete