06 November 2006

A Matter of Perspective

I took a continuing education class, PALS -- Pediatric Advanced Life Support -- this weekend. A nice refresher, since I don't get to take care of critically ill kids too often (fortunately). We were split into small groups for simulated cases on SimKids. In my group were about 3 pediatricians and 4 peds nurses. I was the only provider who sees more adults than kids.

When it was my turn to run the "mega-code," my preceptor took me through a simulated cardiac arrest that involved just about every nasty twist he could think of. In the end, he concluded by saying, "Good job. You saved his life."

Without thinking, I responded, "We don't really save lives. We just prolong them."

Laughing, he instructed the rest of the class "Oh, don't pay any attention to the cynical old ER doctor!"

Who, me?

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. I really like it, and I'm adding you to my blogroll.

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno... I think when it comes to cynicism, I've met your match in ID docs. But it's a close tie between ED and ID. :0)

    ReplyDelete